10/8/14

ACTOR GARY CAIRNS II



…A Passionate Movie Star…
Interview & Article By Adriana Rubio
Photographs Courtesy of:
Todd Jenkins & Timothy Ryan Cole


“…I like challenging roles. I like to explore the dark sinister characters sometimes…”


The interview with Actor Gary Cairns started at 9:00 am (PST) via Skype video call. A few tense seconds filled the room prior to make the call. I was visualizing his main role on “Malignant”, you know, just thinking about that creepy experiment! So just in case I texted him “Do you prefer video call or just a call?”… Text back “Video is fine”… Oh My…!

“Hello”… He is right there! A young man with a nice smile wearing a hoodi made by Actor/Musician/Martial Artist Johnny Strong! Both play roles on the upcoming feature “Daylight’s End”, an action/horror movie written by Chad Law and directed by William Kaufman. Lucky me… I’m not a zombie! The picture below says it all!

 
“It was a dream to work with a director like William Kaufman. Will is the sweetest guy in the planet. He put such a great cast around me, a group of very talented people that really made my job easier. Like I said, it was a dream to work with him and the same about being with my bro Chad Law. I wish I could have more Daylight’s End in the near future. See this? (turns around a little bit so I could see his room), I have an empty space right here on the wall. I’m waiting for the movie poster to be signed by everyone”. (Laughs!)
  
“Johnny Strong is awesome; I’m wearing one of his hoodies (Laughs!) He is a real deal, an artist in the highest level, someone who is very professional and focused when he goes on set. If people want to take pictures with him, he will but it’s not going to happen until he finishes. He is there shooting a film and nothing’s gonna get him out of his way. He is a true artist, you know, he is an actor, makes movies, knives, plays music, he is a martial artist. You learn a lot with him, he is one of my favorite people. Working with him you grow not only as an actor but as a human being”.  

 
Gary Cairns was born in Cleveland, OH and moved around as a child to Texas and Colorado. His acting career started a little by little at the age of eight in North California, going then deeper into it after moving to Huntington Beach at the age of ten. He entered into the commercials field for Starbucks, Sears and Cheerios amongst many others.

His passion for acting was increasingly motivated by a non-stop routine of call after call for castings, TV stuff and commercials. All this together led him to get a part on “The Good Humor Man”, a feature film written and directed by Tenney Fairchild. 


“I started doing commercials when I was eight but there was this director Tenney Fairchild who kept hiring me and hiring me. And then he did a movie which is called The Good Humor Man and he put me in a little role so I did that, shot that in September 2003. It was the first feature film that I was a part of, and everything just goes from there”.

 

Gary Cairns is a talented actor who is not where he is at now by miracle but passion for acting, hard work and deeply focusing in developing the characters as well as being open and ready to casting calls and auditions for several acting proposals.

“Casting is so important. I’ve been making auditions on tape mainly. I’ve got actually an audition tape for another movie. And this is pretty much the way it works, they want me to do a role, but they want to see me doing it and then discuss it with me before we decide if we are going to make it or not”.

“I definitely prepare for whatever the role is to audition. I know people that read and memorize the lines and that’s good enough, not me. I pretty much like to shut down and really focus on the role and study”.


“At the end of the day and even though I’m not literally reading the lines, I memorize them subconsciously and subconsciously until I really go into the character. If you really go to audition, you just want to do your best and be creative in developing the character even though you don’t get the part. It doesn’t mean you are bad, you know, sometimes you get it and sometimes you don’t. It’s variable”. 

  


Gary Cairson is known for his roles on TV Series like N.Y.P.D Blue, Criminal Minds, Malcolm in the Middle, Once and Again, and also for his appearance with Timothy Olyphant on the FX series Justified. Gary is actually very much recognized in the big screen for his roles on feature films such as Hero Wanted opposite Cuba Gooding Jr. and Norman Reedus, Mad World, The Last Hurrah, The Night Visitor with Brianne Davis, and Lost In A Crowd, an Indie Drama Film that goes deep to the core. This features been written and directed by Micah Cohen, and starred by Timothy Ryan Cole, Luke Albright and David L. Murphy.


“I like characters like the one I play in Lost In A Crowd, Luther. As an actor it’s very interesting when you have to deal with a character that stands out in the script. It’s even more challenging because you have a role that stands out and is your job to really deliver there”.
 

Gary Cairns has also starred a main role in the independent feature Malignant with Brad Dourif, one of the most admired and legendary actors, a thriller directed by Brian-Avenet Bradley.

“I’m the main, main guy, Allex, in Malignant. Sometimes you like to work with them, sometimes you don’t. But I like challenging roles. I like to explore the dark sinister characters sometimes…” (Laughs).
 
 
Gary Cairns also has credits as a writer on three films: Over Yonder, a western inspired by Gary himself and his friend and co-writer Chad Law, The Hype, a story about justice and freedom, and Monumental, a story about two young men journey across the U.S.A to honor one's mother by spreading her ashes at monuments she always dreamed of visiting.

“Monumental is currently on post-production. It’s a film I wrote and star with Luke Albright. We shot it last summer. Now, we are dealing with all the technical stuff like some sound that we got it new, but it is all shot. It could be all done by now, but I had to slow it down as I was busy shooting other films”.


In the meantime, Gary Cairns keeps busy reading scripts, preparing for more auditions, writing and focusing in getting some deals tied up before the holidays so then he can relax a little bit, enjoy family time and be a Daddy, the most real character in life, himself.

To watch Lost In A Crowd:


Malignant is currently available on all streaming sites such as Amazon, Vudu, iTunes and more. It will be out on DVD very early in 2015.

Amazon.com:



iTunes:


Vudu:


For further info and updates you can follow Gary Cairns on facebook and twitter’s official pages:




THANKS SO MUCH GARY!